The 2018 edition of Elgin Cool Wine & Country Food Festival is just around the corner and we simply can’t wait!
While all our venues go out of their way to make it an unforgettable experience every year, we have a feeling that this is going to be the coolest one yet!
Here are a few exciting things to look forward to:
One of the things we pride ourselves in here at #ElginCoolFest, is the fact that it truly is a festival the whole family can enjoy!
We’ve decided to take an inclusive approach, making sure that each venue has a safe space for children to play while their parents enjoy good food and wine.
Here are just a few of the things your kiddies can look forward to:
- Large lawns to roll around on and a playground at Almenkerk
- Jungle gym at Charles Fox
- A Kids Zone at Oak Valley, including pony rides and crafts. The Pool Room also has a whole menu dedicated to the little ones!
- More large lawns at Paul Cluver
- Exciting chocolate-based activities at Paul Wallace
And when we say fun for the whole family, we really mean it! Bring your furry friend to join in the activities, but please be sure to keep him/her on a leash.
The following farms are pet-friendly:
- Almenkerk – The Estate has 2 dogs. You can bring your own dog if it is very friendly, at your own risk. Some dogs get along, others don’t.
- Elgin Ridge
- Elgin Vintners
- Highlands Road Estate
- Lothian Vineyards
- Paul Cluver
- Paul Wallace – if on a leash and they do not chase the chickens! The two farm dogs are well socialized.
Food for all tastes
No matter what gastronomic delight you’re craving, we’re almost sure you will find it at #ElginCoolFest.
While you can find traditional wine farm fare, such as cheese platters, salads and sandwiches, there are a couple of surprises to look forward to:
- Cheese Beef Burgers, Vegan Falafel, Hot Fried Sweet Potato Chips & Chicken Salad. A selection of cakes and sweet treats – Almenkerk
- Sushi – Elgin Ridge. Minimum 10 pieces with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc for R160 per person. Booking essential!
- Burgers, wraps, ribs and an ice cream truck – Elgin Vintners
- Portuguese Prego rolls and prawns – Iona Wines. Personally prepared by the famous Manny from Botriver.
- Pizza – Lothian Vineyards
- Famous acorn fed pork belly with roasted apple and home-made rocky road chocolate bars (among many other treats) – The Pool Room at Oak Valley
- Indian curry and rice – Oneiric
- Street food style braai served from 10h00 – Paul Cluver
SALT’s chefs will be working side by side with the cellar master to bring you a specially paired 4 course menu – Paul Cluver
- Beef fillet and Belgian chocolates for sale – Paul Wallace
- Healthy home cooked tapas menu items. Locally sourced and prepared ingredients – South Hill Vineyards
FREE wine tastings
Each of the venues will be offering their guests a free tasting. In most cases, this will include three wines, but may differ from farm to farm.
If you’re a golden ticket holder, you’ll also get additional experiences and unique tasting opportunities at no extra charge (bookings are essential, however).
- Vertical Chardonnay tastings (7 vintages – 2010 to 2017) – Almenkerk
- A walking tour of the Biodynamic farm, finishing with a tasting – Elgin Ridge
- 1.5 litre magnum, 3 litre double magnum and 5 litre jeroboams for tasting – Elgin Vintners
- Vertical tasting of 3 vintages of Sine Cera – our award winning White Bordeaux blend – and the launch of the 2015 Syrah (will also be available for tasting) – Highlands Road Estate
- A selection of Sauvignon Blanc vertical tasting, going back 10 years – Iona
- Pinot Noir and Chardonnay tasting – Lothian Vineyards
- An exclusive tasting of the premium Groenlandberg range: Wild fermented Chardonnay and Pinot Noir sourced only from found high up the Groenlandberg Mountain – Oak Valley
- Tasting of our Estate Chardonnay, Estate Pinot Noir and newly released Noble Late Harvest (the first release of noble in three years) – Paul Cluver
- Vertical tasting of three vintages of Pinot Noir. Also, be one of the first to sample the 2017 Reflection Chardonnay of which only 5 barrels were vinified – Paul Wallace
- Taste five wines: 3 current vintages, 2 older vintages, pair with homemade pates – South Hill Vineyard
One of the most exciting new developments in our beautiful valley, is the brand new Elgin Railway Market!
The art deco inspired space will be ready just in time for #ElginCoolFest and will also form the central point of the festival. You will pick up your glasses and armbands for the day here and can even catch a shuttle to some of the participating wineries.
The market will be filled with carefully curated crafts, vintage goodies and delectable treats of all sorts. So, be sure to spend some time exploring. The market will be open until 22:00 on Saturday and 18:00 on Sunday evening.
While we’re serious about having fun, we’re also serious about doing so as safely as possible.
If you love your wine and suspect you might want to indulge a bit more than usual, we certainly don’t want you getting into the driver’s seat. Especially not if your family is with you!
Because of this, we’ll have shuttles transporting festival-goers from the Elgin Railway Market to various venues.
We also strongly suggest that you book accommodation for the weekend, so you don’t have to take the long road home.
Please visit the Elgin Cool Wine & Country Food Festival website for more details about activities on each farm, to make bookings and to enquire about shuttles.